Monday, September 22, 2008

30 seconds

Texting.
We all know it and love it. Parents argue that its a development the world could have got along without just fine, and seem to think it hinders any and all activities, but it's really a relief to some of us. We all have that one person in our lives that we may not particularly want to talk directly over the phone with because maybe he or she is a little too chatty, or possibly they're just not very personable, though this does not make them a bad person. Sometimes if you're in a pinch and need that one little bit of information like an address before you leave the house, or the login for an academic website you've forgotten and you know this one person would absolutely know it but you dont have the time to talk - you text. Saves time and stress.
And honestly, the parental argument, that I personally get all the time, doesn't fly. They say calling and talking to the person is faster, which in these cases - it's not. It takes 30 seconds.
The problem comes when the person is continually on their phone, texting one or multiple people about pointless, time-wasting things, which in turn takes time away from the important things like homework or actual work. Also easily distracting people during school hours, which is just plain rediculous because you'll be seeing that person at break and/or lunch and/or after school. Now I'm not saying "turn them off on campus", because I'm not Mrs. Knox, but it's just hard to justify texting your friend(s) who are also RHS students during the same time they're at school with you...I'm just sayin'. Texting in school also takes a lot longer, in my opinion, because you have to take the time to analyse and anticipate when the teacher won't be looking for a long enough period of time that will allow you to type a reasonable bit of information. Then you have to repeat this process multiple times just to be able to type two lines, at the risk of getting caught, and losing your phone. That is, unless, you're the person that is so in tune with your phone that you're able to text without looking at it - this is not me.
In any sense, my point is that texting, when necessary, is extremely useful and a stress-saver for some, and does not always save time compared to just calling the person, unless you're addicted to it to the point where it takes up too much time and distracts you from other things more worth while.

3 comments:

michelle said...

I agree.
I admit that I am an avid texter because I have good friends who don't go to RHS and a lot of times, it's just easier.

But at school, it just seems pointless. I'm there to learn and not waste my time texting. Plus, getting caught just isn't worth the risk...

lauren elizabeth said...

i reallllly agree, im trying to cut down myself
good point paige, this totally relates to a lot of us at RHS
go p!

Anonymous said...

I know!!! It is so crazy that people have to talk during school to their friends even when they're going to see them at lunch or break, or even after school! It's as if we can't live without talking to that one person, but I am also a victim of that so I can't really blame anybody.lol. Texting is love!