Thursday, September 11, 2008

An eventful day at Rocklin High School

It was my intention to get as much attention for the SATS today. I didn't entirely grasp the magnitude of our actions today until after lunch was over-people came up to me, giving me high fives...teachers emailed saying 'Thank you...' and I was really entertained when I heard that some seniors were trying to listen and so they told underclassmen to "shut the **** up."

To clear the rumors, some admin did in fact confront some of the people who were handing out flyers this morning. We had proof that we could hand out the flyers, so I think admin was taken aback by our organization and our knowledge of our rights...this is a shoutout to someone who goes unnamed...THANK YOU FOR THE COPY OF OUR DISTRICT POLICIES:)

Kevin Brown, our superintendent, was at school this morning. Brittany and I spoke with him and Mr. Douglas at break today to make sure we were on the same page about our constitutional right to hand out flyers.

Lunch was...successful...but it could have been better. I had never used a megaphone before and neither had any of the people who presented their speeches. I was the first person to speak...and I ended up yelling at the end...but unfortunately the megaphone only amplified my voice if I was pointing the megaphone directly at you. In the end, I think we got our point across and I feel satisfied with the end result.

Again, to clear the rumors...YES a SacBee staff writer was in the amphitheater with us. I emailed the SacBee two days ago to see if I could get a story written about the SATS. I briefly mentioned our lunch speeches today, so I didn't expect anyone to come. But to my surprise, I found him in the office, checking in with Mr. Garrison and Ms. Knox.

I think this is Rocklin activism at it's finest. :)