Saturday, September 6, 2008

SATS: Students for Advancing Teacher Salaries

Hello!

This is my first rant in written form for the year...

I am a member of the SATS group. It stands for "Students for Advancing Teacher Salaries" and it all started out when I called a couple of people who I thought would be outspoken and passionate about change for the teacher salary/district situation. I have to sadly admit-I probably wouldn't have done anything if our clubs hadn't stopped. The conflict has gone on for more than a year, and I did not know any student who really stepped up to help the teachers last year. When I found out that clubs were to be nonexistent, I thought about the situation for a couple weeks and I had the sudden urge to help. We take our teachers and our clubs and school for granted, and now that we've lost a part of our student culture, I am hoping the SATS group I helped form isn't the only group of students upset about the situation in our district.

SATS have met a three times now, and we have some plans to intiate before the 17th. We've painted our cars and placed posters in our windows and you'll find more to come in the next couple days. The reason why we are not very public about our plans is because we want to keep it on the down-low-we want to have the biggest impact we can possibly have, and I think the best way to make this all happen is to keep the suspense in the air...yes...suspenseful.

I strongly urge anyone interested in helping to call me or email rhssats@yahoo.com. We need help with poster supplies, window paint, and labor!

I've been inspired by Barack Obama and politics in general-I've come to this conclusion in my head that I belong in politics, whether it be as a lawyer or as a political adviser. Politics may be a dirty game, but there is this inner fire within me that wants to make change.

I also envision the SATS to be the vehicle for change at Rocklin High School-we've never had this active of a group, and I remain optimistic for what lies ahead.

I leave you with my favorite quote:
"Hope -- Hope in the face of difficulty. Hope in the face of uncertainty. The audacity of hope! In the end, that is God’s greatest gift to us, the bedrock of this nation. A belief in things not seen. A belief that there are better days ahead." -Barack Obama

No comments: