Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Stricter School Year

Once again the school year has started and Rocklin seems to have the same traditions. However, this year there are a lot more rules being strictly enforced. Not only is the administration cracking down on the dress code harder then ever, but now there are even rules on where we are allowed to sit at lunch. These rules have never been there before, but the administration swears they were always there just not followed or enforced. As a student, I don't know what to believe. I mean are these brand new rules or were they always there? Like the tank top rule that supposedly has been there for many years was never cracked down on until lately. My freshman year everyone wore tank tops and no one was ever asked to change. Even the beginning of my sophomore year we wore tank tops. I don't understand how the rules can change in the middle of the school year. I think they need to enforce them from the start. Even a rule as stupid as no shoulders showing should be properly stated to the whole school so we know what is appropriate and what isn't. I also think we should be given an explanation to why these items of clothing are inappropriate. I can see something that is too revealing, but I didn't realize some one's shoulders were so inappropriate for others to see. I hate how Rocklin is the only school in our county that has such a strict dress code policy even after we have the highest test scores, most awards, and we are the school that everyone else wants to be, but not when it comes to dress code. Its impossible to find enough clothes that are acceptable and that also keep you cool in this blazing heat. This school expects you to be in turtle necks and jeans while its 105 degrees outside. I think the dress code should be modified. They want us to be comfortable, so they should let us wear what we want.

1 comment:

sugarmagnolia4 said...

I completely agree. I don't know if you saw it, but I wrote an article for web last week that dealt with exactly the same issues. What they're doing isn't fair.
More power to ya.
:-)