Friday, September 12, 2008

life behind the attendence window

I work in the attendance office as a T.A. Most of the time, I do average work like filing, hole punching, or highlighting. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but while im working I like to observe and listen. Why do work that needs no brain work and not eavesdrop? Okay, its not exactly eavesdropping, I think.
The Rocklin High School administration prowl around the attendence office while I file away. As I flip through hundreds of folders, I take quick glances and tune in to side conversations. Most of the time everyone is so stressed out about the network being down, or twenty kids arriving late because the bus driver was late again. I didn't know the atmosphere could be so stressful and sometimes dramatic
Everyday, fourteen to twenty eight students are tardy. Whether they had car trouble, their clothes didn't make it out of the dryer on time, or they just didn't wake up. The excuses I hear sometimes seem a bit fabricated.
Another part of my job is running to various classrooms to give notes to students who have to go to the attendance office at break or leave at a certain time during the day. It gives me quite a work out sometimes too. It's rather frustrating when Mrs. Taylor writes the wrong class number on the paper, however.
Having this T.A. job makes me realize how much having a real job in the future is going to suck. Especially if im working behind a cubicle, which I never intend to do. Why do mindless work for hours and hours, I might as well be a vegetable.
I predicted that working for a high school is slightly easier than any ordinary job, but all of the administration makes it seem fairly demanding. The more they try and reduce the number of kids who have OCS or come to school late, the more the numbers increase. They keep trying to find ways to help them or change them, but in the end they aren't making an improvement. There are so many people I've seen walk in this school and not care at all. They don't care about their education; they don't care how much Mr. Corrao yells at them.
At the attendance window, Mrs. Taylor and Mrs. Cook greet each tardy student with a friendly, "hello, how are you doing this morning?" They never cease to amaze me. I can tell they try as hard as possible to make each students day better, because they know high school isn't easy. Although, if a student barks back at them or are ridiculously rude, they aren't afraid to tell them to adjust their attitude. In my opinion, they are strong women out to change the civilization of high school teenagers. From time to time I get a motherly vibe from them, It's kind of nice. They compliment me almost every morning, and tell me how much they appreciate my good attitude and strong work ethic. It means a lot to me each time they say it.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

This is such a great snapshot of life at RHS. Literally a view (through a window) the rest of us never see. Great first person piece.