Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Change of Heart

Let me start off by saying that I've never been a big fan of poetry. It's not that I hated it or anything, but I've just never been compelled to read poetry on my own accord and not for some school assignment. Yet, lately, within the past few months, I find myself being more and more attracted to poetry and not just reading it, but writing it as well.
When I was younger, the reason I was turned off by poetry was the lack of structure. With my short stories I knew the drill: characters, basic plot. But with poetry there didn't seem to be any hard and fast rule and what to write or how to write it. And that annoyed me. I didn't think I was capable of writing a "good poem". That's beginning to change.
In AP English, we've recently started our poetry unit. I groaned and rolled my eyes, but after the exercises on the first day I realized something big.
Our first poem was taking the phrases "I need..." and "I've had enough..." repetitively and filling in the sentences as we so desired. I tried it out and I realized how insightful it was to take 2 simple phrases but manifest what exactly it was I was feeling.
Last night I decided to try writing that poem again as a way to release all the stress and tension I was taking. Surprise! It helped a lot. It was something so incredibly simple, yet it's impact on my emotional sanity. I'm slowly learning (Ms. Padilla would be proud) the magic behind poetry, the great appeal and draw that it's had for so many people.
I found a small book of Jack Kerouac haikus a while back. I'll leave it with you as it has now become one my favorite poems. I've never forgotten it, simply because of how random it is. It was one my first eye opening realizations that poetry can truly be about anything.

"Bee, why are you
staring at me?
I am not a flower"
-Jack Kerouac

3 comments:

Karin said...

That is a pretty sweet haiku.

Raoul Duke said...

Oh, Kerouac. You silly drunk.

RHS Flash said...

Poetry has the power to settle even the most restless soul, or make the peaceful soul restless. Just be open. Love your thoughts. CN