Friday, September 12, 2008

September 11th

A moment of silence. And that was it. The rest of yesterday's September 11th went on without a hitch it seemed. It's hard to believe that it has been seven years since the towers went down, and thousands were killed. Last night I watched a history show- history! Sept. 11th is already considered history-and it had different video clips of people's expieriences. It all seemed like some shakey cam horror movie-the same genre of "Cloverfield". I had never seen the raw footage before and let me tell you, it makes a difference. But what really got to me were the things that some people said- shelshocked and terrifyed people who had every right to be angry, but all the same the things they said chilled me. Things like "We should have got them before they got us," "We should drop bombs on them and kill them all," and "Oh my God- we should go to war, like right now." All of them in reference to a mysterious "them" it makes me wonder if anyone really knew who was responsible at that point. The event seemed to bring xenophobia, racism and overall cultural ignornace to the surface of our country. Did they think that an entire country had done this? One man answered my question when he said, "He need to kill all of them: the arabians," he listed similar races afterward which told me that he didn't much care who we fought back as long as we fought back. And that is exactly what happened, we fought back- bombing innocents in order to assuage our righteous injustice. I want to honor those who died and punish those responsible- but surely we can all see the error we made in rushing blindly into battle with an unknown enemy. By this I of course mean no disrespect to the dead and their loved ones because...
no matter how differently we feel about what happened afterward. We all feel the same about September 11th. I hope all who were affected are expiriencing some kind of peace.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Love the voice and passion you bring this staff.