Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Etiquette of Receiving Gifts

There's an etiquette to giving gifts and there is an etiquette to receiving gifts, too.

I realized this on Christmas morning when I opened up a package from my grandma. Tucked inside sheets of white tissue paper, four necklaces lay before me..one for me and my three sisters. We were all speechless...

We thought they were some voo-doo tribal jewelery from years ago. They are not pretty and I can appreciate a wide variety of art. None of us are sure we will um..have the perfect ocassion to wear them. We aren't sure where they are from. I kinda have the feeling my grandma was trying to clean out her drawer. Maybe she made them when she was an artist.

I'd consider re-gifting them, but how would I possible explain where I "bought" them? And re-gifting is really only polite when
a) the item is brand-new
b) the person will actually like the gift

Hmm..at least I have a white elephant gift for next year. As I put it in my thank you note, the necklaces are "artistic and unique." At least they came with a Nordstrom gift card :)

1 comment:

Brit said...

Oh wow, that sounds like a, very interesting gift? haha. I had a similar experience when I was six or so, when I was sent a strange piece of jewelry from a distant relative for a Christmas present. Fortunately they weren't present, so they didn't get to see my faux pas when I laughed and asked everyone around what was wrong with my bracelet!