Thursday, March 11, 2010

Technology and the Next Generation

I just recently read an article on Yahoo about when kids should start to use their own cell phone, have a computer, and TV and the results were pretty interesting.

The figures were based off of a survey of 1000 people, and included parents and other adults without children. With age range from 9-18 years old and out of the three separate surveys, 61% thought that kids ages 13 and up is appropriate for a cell phone, 31% believed that kids by the age of 9 should have their first computer, and 27% thought that nine-year-olds should have their own TV.

(Here's the link for all results) http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/161576

Most of them I wasn't really surprised, but the computer one scares me. I remember I didn't really even use a computer at all until I was at least 12! I know that parents can put those parental blocks on it and such, but there is still so much stuff out there on the Internet that kids could get into.

It would also be interesting to see what the results would be for electronics such as an iPod and video games. I just hope that future generations won't be corrupted by too much technology at too early of an age, which will just make kids "grow up" or face reality too fast.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Love this kind or research... interesting stuff. I think kids need time to play.