Sunday, March 21, 2010

I am going to Cambodia!!!

50 school days left until graduation! And this summer, my mom is turning 50. So the combination of these two events, my graduation and my mom reaching the big 50, made us want to do something special to celebrate! Our first idea ended up not working out. We had decided on doing a triathlon, but my mom started having back and hip problems so we can't do that anymore. But, an even better opportunity came our way.
This summer (June 25-July 11), my mom and I are going to Cambodia. We are going on a mission their with a team from our church. Every day while we are there, we will be doing a kids camp for children in Svay Pak, Cambodia, a hot spot for child sex trafficking. These children are as young 4 years old and they have to go through horrendous sexual abuse every night. It is really unfathomable. But amidst all of the horrific things they must endure, there is an organization their called Agape International Missions that is working to bring hope and change the lives of these children. Barb Wilson, the leader of the team we are going with, went last year for the fist time. She said one of her big fears was not being able to handle getting to know girls that are so abused. But now she can't stop talking about the children and how their lives are being changed. I can't believe I get to be a part of this! And then the last day we are there, we get to throw on a party for the girls in ARC, a high-security house for girls rescued from the sex trade. Wow!

1 comment:

victoria said...

thats so exciting! wish I had a trip planned this summer :/