Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Into Thin Air

So I'm reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer for English for AR. My brother read the book a few years ago and liked it, so I figured I'd give it a try. It's an amazing book.

Here's one thing I've decided through the course of reading this book: I'm never climbing Mt. Everest.

The book is written by a real-life journalist who is given the opportunity to climb Everest in order to write a feature story for a big outdoorsy magazine.He was an avid climber before becoming a journalist, so the project is right up his alley. The writing style is very interesting to me personally due to the fact that the author is a professional journalist. It's very evident that he has worked for a magazine or newspaper simply through the way he writes. 

Right from the first pages, it is easy to tell that the book will be sad. On the cover it says "A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster." There's even a picture diagram in the first few pages showing different locations where bodies were found or missing people were last seen. 

I can see why some people may find the mystery and thrill of being on top of the world exciting, but as for me, I'll just stay where my oxygen is plenty and frostbite is no immediate possibility. 

No comments: