Thursday, September 12, 2013

How do you pronounce that again?

I love my Chinese name. It makes me proud of my heritage and makes me feel as if I'm part of something special. At times though, I really do hate how it has to be my "registered name". It has to be the one I use for any official documents, including school registration. Over the years, I've heard so many different attempts to pronounce it that I automatically tell people to "just call me Mindy". Substitute teachers and roll call make me wince. I've long since learned to listen for that little pause and an apologetic "I'm sorry if I butcher this. . ." before calling my name in any sort of alphabetical list. Sometimes people insist on attempting to pronounce it correctly, and after a few attempts I usually just smile and tell them they're really close. After a while it just kinda becomes annoying. I know it's just a little thing, and it really shouldn't bother me that much, but it does get frustrating. It would be nice to have a "normal people name". Truthfully though, I don't think I would be willing to give up my name, no matter how annoying and frustrating it gets.

3 comments:

/ said...

Lol, I get that. Obviously not for my first name, but my last name. Some people just don't try and will say "Julie with a really long last name." I find it amusing although when I break it down for people, they have this moment where their world is shattered. I mean, Schwarzkopf, really is simple. Swore-sh-cough. I think if you do that, it could help teachers.

Rhiannon said...

Wow that is my life. If I tell someone my name without them seeing it written down, they assume I said Brianna. It's a hard life!

/ said...

Lol, I'm pretty sure when I met you, I thought your name was Rhianna.