Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bye Bye, Vikings

School started last Wednesday, and I can finally say that I successfully survived my first week at a new high school. I only got lost once trying to find a class, and during the mad rush of lunchtime, I was able to find where all my friends were. I'm adjusting to the change well.



The last two years I spent at Oakmont were average to say the least. I knew half the school population, my teachers were pretty decent, and my best friend was there. Even though I didn't completely despise the school, there was a lot about it that I could not stand: the air conditioning always being turned off due to our lack of money, our old, dirty, and non-taken care of campus, the lack of school spirit and lastly how terrible almost every one of our sports teams were. I always knew Rocklin was a better school, I never heard anything except great things about it. However after this last week, I was abosolutely shocked at the differences between the two schools.


At Rocklin I feel like I'm in a different world. The entire campus is new and clean, it just shows how the staff takes pride in this school. Every new person I have met has been so welcoming and friendly, I already made several new Facebook friends! However there are two major differences between Oakmont and Rocklin that I have discovered this week. Spirit. We had our "Welcome Back" rally and dace on Friday. The rally shocked me. Kids were standing up, cheering, screaming, wearing class colors, participating in games and singing the fight song-the students actually care. Oakmont rally's look totally lame compared to the one I witnessed a few days ago. The kids in Roseville just sit there and will occasionally let out a cheer or two. It's always the same people participating in the games, but there isn't any desire for competition. Just when I thought Rocklin couldn't surpise me more, it did. I show up Friday night to the dance, decked out in my indian attire, and my mouth dropped. So many people were there! They actually filled up half the gym. In addition to that, they were actually dancing; not just standing there acting too cool.



I guess I could say that I love everything about Rocklin more, except one thing. The dress code. Being used to wearing anything I want at Oakmont, the second day of school I got busted for a quarter inch of my stomach showing. I guess I can see why they don't approve of that, but if anyone could please explain to me what is so sexual or inapporpriate about showing your shoulders, I would love to know.



That's all I have to say about the two schools for now, I'm sure as the year goes on I will learn more and more about Rocklin. I haven't bought lunch from the cafeteria yet, but I must say Oakmont's food will be hard to beat!

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Loved your insights. I don't think Rocklin kids always realize how lucky they are. No school is perfect, but there is much good about RHS. I'm glad you are enjoying it. cn