Saturday, July 7, 2012

Rewarding Experience.

So far summer has been really fun! The best part-- I am volunteering at the (Kindergarten-3rd grade) summer school for students with special needs again. I did it last year in the same class and had so much fun that I had to do it again!

It is so great working in the classroom with the students. Although at times it can be difficult (due to their learning disabilities), it is very uplifting to watch them learn the material and be intelligent, caring, energetic kids! 

I help with everything from teaching them math, doing workbooks with them, reading with them, to going outside and playing basketball with them. It is an all around great time! 

Through all of their learning and physical disabilities they are very much happy and eager to learn. Their smiles are contagious and personalities so different. 

The teacher, normal aides, and other volunteers I work with are also so genuine, and I have become such great friends with them all. I absolutely love it and am dreading the day that it is over. This is the last week! 5 more days. 

These past two summers are experiences that I will never forget and I am so grateful that high school students are given the opportunity to serve at this amazing summer school. It really makes you appreciate life, health, and happiness. 

3 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, sounds like you had fun this sum mer!! It's great to hear that you've been helping and this being your second year doing it, I hope you had fun. It all sounds so heart-warming! I just hope the rest of your summer turns out as great as this part of it sounds.

Rhiannon said...

The summer school is really rewarding. Like you, I'm with the same teacher again and I love my the kids. Enjoy the last day!

Mason said...

Liz- it is very heart-warming. I will miss them, but I know that I will hopefully be serving in the same class again next year.

Rhiannon- Thank you! I can't believe how fast time went-- fastest four weeks of the summer for sure! Enjoy the rest of it!