Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thor

So this weekend...Superbowl Sunday to be exact...I adopted a cat. It happened quite unexpectedly. We had just spent a family morning together and my older sister was meeting an individual about rescue puppies that he had, and rather than wait outside of the local Petco, I decided to go inside.

FieldHaven had cats for adoption inside the Petco in Rocklin, and I saw this domestic long-haired cat with gray hair that was just so...odd. I mean odd in the good way of course. He is a five month old kitten, but he acts like a dog.

Not quite the typical cat...but he has a unique background. He was born on a ranch, and since he was very young the children of the owners would hold the cats and play with them all day. The FieldHaven representative who adopted the cat out to me told me that he had the demeanor of a bottle-fed cat. It is rare for them to ever find a cat like this...and I wanted him.

So I asked my parents...and of course I was expecting to have to fight for him. Yet...surprisingly both of my parents wanted him just as much as I did.

When I get home he will follow at my legs wherever I go, weaving in and out. When I finally sit down, he will jump on my lap and sit there for literally hours. But his favorite thing to do is lie on his back and have his stomach rubbed while he purrs.

I am happy because I get the best of both worlds. He is largely independent and takes care of himself when I am not around, but when I am he follows me and just stays close. And...I don't have to worry about shots or anything of the sort. He has already had all of his checkups, vaccines, been neutered, and even has a micro chip which I have to register.

So if any of you are looking for a new companion out there. I would definitely recommend going to FieldHaven out in Lincoln and seeing which cats they have to adopt. They're very well-behaved, and well taken care of cats. And the process is very smooth. Let me know if you need any of their information.

P.S. I named him Thor because he purrs like thunder...I'm just kidding...that would be lame. I just liked the name Thor...but of course I had to find a legitimate reason to name him that :).

No comments: