Friday, August 15, 2008

Women's Gymnastics

Hello again!! You all already know that I love reading the Yahoo News, because I whined about it a few days ago. But this time, there is no whining involved. This is the kind of news that I love. I was watching the olympics last night with my friend, her family, and her boyfriend. We were watching women's gymnastics and we were all very into it, (including her boyfriend, Brendan Lane...hahah). But we all kept mentioning the fact that He Kexin did NOT look 16-years-old. More like ten, maybe. THEN I just found an article on Yahoo all about the scandal of her age. I was so excited. :] haha. So the verdict is not too pleasing. The whole situation is very shady: her passport states that she is 16-years-old (barely), the IOC refuses to investigate, and news reports stated as recently as December 2007 that she was a 13-year-old prodigy. I smell something fishy...and I can't believe I just said that!



So, I think this is ridiculous and somebody better figure out her real age. If I were Shawn or Nastia, I'd be pissed. The younger a gymnast is, the easier it is for him or her because bones are still more limber. That is why the 16-year-old age rule is in effect, so that nobody has an advantage too much past that of the others. So if I had the opportunity to travel to China and be an olympic gymnast, I would most certainly not want any accusations of someone 'cheating', especially when that someone has taken the gold. (Not last night, but in other events)



That's all. I love Yahoo News. And I was able to use this as one of my current events for AP Environmental Science. :]



You tell me....16, 14, 10.....haha. ;]

2 comments:

Justin said...

I've been hearing a lot about this, and there's little doubt that they're too young. There are forensics experts that can apparently estimate a persons age based on facial features, and those people are saying that some of these girls are probably only ten. For the most part, the competitors are probably just mad because they got beaten, but there are some legitimate health concerns about how gymnastics can put too much pressure on the body at such an early age. Not to mention the risk of a catastrophic career ending injury at the ripe old age of 11.

Anonymous said...

ok brendan was not very into it he was just watching it and happened to like the name nastia lol