Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympics

I'm not usually a big sports fan, but recently, I can't seem to stop watching the Olympic games. Michael Phelps, an Olympian swimmer, has been giving an amazing performance. Now, normally, swimming bores me. It usually just ends up being a bunch of athletes going back and forth in a pool for an hour. But this guy has been demolishing the competition. He has managed to win 5 gold medals and set 5 world records in just 4 days! It's absolutely incredible. He aims to earn 3 more gold medals before the Olympics are over, that would get him the world record for most gold performances in a single year. I don't know about you, but I find this guy to be amazing, he is doing things that I've never even imagined, and showing just how much the human body is capable of when you put your mind to it. So, even if you're not that into the Olympics, I'd suggest keeping up with swimming. He wasn't called the "greatest Olympian ever" for nothing.

5 comments:

tanya said...

I could not agree more. The only sports I've really been paying attention to have been swimming, gymnastics, and beach volleyball, and Michael Phelps WOWS me every time! Just imagine how committed he has been to swimming for his entire life! And he's still in his twenties if I'm not mistaken, which means he can only become more amazing. If I had to choose one athlete to watch, it would definitely be him.

Amanda C. said...

I absolutley agree, being a swimmer and huge fan of swimming and of course, Michael Phelps. Only 3 more events for the champion and he can be the greatest Olympian in history!

Anonymous said...

Oh please, there are TONS of other sports that are WAY more interesting. The only reason you like to watch swimming is because they are practically wearing no clothes. Just admit it.
On the other hand, props for watching the Olympics! They are way cool to watch, huh?!

hayley said...

Michael Phelps is my man. Ive been swimming since I was four so of course ive developed an appreciation for watching swimming but honestly, and he is the epitome of amazing.
And who saw the 33 year old gymnast? Most gymnasts are like 16 or 17.

BeckySue said...

I agree. He is an AMAZING athlete, but there was more to the Olympics than just him. Honestly, I was disappointed to see that his own mother got more publicity than the other US athletes. Countless moments were missed because of Philips glorification. Don’t get me wrong, what he did was unlike any athlete before in history, BUT what about the rest of our United States team? Really? Our media coverage of the Olympics could have been a lot better. I felt like they let us down for covering beach volleyball, gymnastics, and swimming was not demonstrating equal coverage of the entire Olympic games.