Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sleepwalking

I find the whole idea of sleepwalking to be an interesting phenomenon. It's weird to think that you're walking the parallel between consciousness and unconsciousness by being asleep while appearing to be awake. According to my research, sleepwalking is considered a parasomnia, which is an abnormal behavior during sleep that is considered disruptive. It occurs during non-REM sleep, meaning that a person is not acting our their dreams when they are sleepwalking. It is difficult to wake up a sleepwalker because the brain is resistant to arousal during periods of sleep. I've had a couple of sleepwalking incidents when I was younger, but nothing that has persisted. On one occasion, I woke up to find that I had crawled underneath my own bed, a feat that I was incapable of while awake since the space beneath my bed is so small. Another time was when I woke up laying on the couch in the room next to my room, thoroughly confused. I thought that it was pretty interesting to go to bed in one place and wake up somewhere else, but that's probably because it was never too severe for me. Apparently some people actually drive to places while asleep. That would be scary.

5 comments:

Brit said...

I sleep walk! i think that the craziest thing I've done while asleep is go outside!

Hannah Vahldick said...

I used to sleepwalk. I argued with my parents one time in my sleep lol

Brit said...

"in your sleep" hahahaha a likely excuse..

Amanda said...

Your incident gives a new meaning to the phrase "monsters under your bed"...Just kidding :)

Rverma said...

Ive never sleepwalked, but once I woke up from a dream where I had to leave the house at midnight, checked the clock, saw it was midnight, and actually left the house. If it wasn't for the burglar alarm I probably would have walked out a while before I fully woke up.