Thursday, July 3, 2008

Are We Part of a Dunce Cap Generation?

Hello again. I realized that I didn't officially introduce myself in my first post so I'm fixing that now. I'm Michelle Ahronovitz and I'm going to be a senior this year and will be enjoying my second year with the Flash. Anyways, onto my post!

I came across the article highlighting the recently published book by Mark Bauerlein explaining how our current generation (essentially anyone below the age of 25-30) is the dumbest generation to date. The link isn't an official article, but rather a slideshow that presents eight reasons why we are supposedly a very dumb generation. I talked with my dad about this after seeing it because naturally, I don't consider myself "dumb" in the slightest.

One of the points Bauerlein has is that because teenagers today are so caught up in the technology we have as our disposal (i.e. texting, instant messaging, facebook) that we have apparently lost all disregard for spelling and correct grammar. But assuming that someone somewhere would present the argument that academia simply isn't the same today when it comes to teaching grammar to English students (I'm sure our foreign language teachers would agree), Bauerlein is prepared. Reason number seven suggests that teachers and parents are getting easier when it comes to pushing teenagers to more difficult levels of thinking and learning.

I feel slightly offended that I am grouped into this so-called "dumb generation" and also saddened by the fact that statistics are now proving that as a generation we are "dumbing down". It actually ties in somewhat to an article from our last 07-08 issue of the Flash (I believe Mallory wrote it) about how the U.S. is falling behind academically compared to the rest of the world in all aspects: mathematics, reading, and writing. So no matter how upset and offended I can be, pushing myself to think that I am exempt from this epidemic there's simply no denying it. Our generation may not be the dumbest, but around the country there are students who are falling behind.

Blogging about this article, I felt a little bit better. I know that with this blog all of us are working to prove that theories like Bauerlein's are wrong. That we are not simply a generation of facebook and texting and that our teachers and parents have not failed us. I'm very interested to hear what you all have to say in response to any of Bauerlein's 8 points that he presents and if you find any of them fair, what do you think that we, as members of this generation, can do to prevent it? Also, if you disagree with any of his points, why?

P.S.
There's clearly much more that can be said about this article, but I figured I should stop before I get to rambling. Let's discuss though!


2 comments:

sugarmagnolia4 said...

What Bauderlein is accusing our generation of is, to a certain extent, true. Any person who sits in the quad at RHS and succeeds to avoid multiple mindless conversations revolving around clothes and gossip is, to be sure, lucky.
The problem with his theory, though, is that he doesn't acknowledge the exceptions. Because we come from a higher-end school, we (here in Rocklin) have more opportunities than the average American teenager, and more is expected of us as young minds, I think there has been more opportunity for us to become more worldly. Many of us young people have taken full advantage of the privilege.
He just hasn't done all his research. He's one of those pessimistic folks...

Kate Rose said...

According to Bauderlein reason number two is that "we dont read books." What?!? I guess I cant speak for our entire generation, but I only know 1 teen who doesnt like reading. And I think his attack on our spelling is "nit picky" and just a bit silly. Of course no one uses correct spelling when they are chating. It does not mean that we can't spell when we arent texting (except for me, I have to admit that I am a terrible speller). But I cant disagree with the numbers- it seems that those in foriegn countries honor learning (this may be because they study in earnest for a better life- that is not to say though that Im one of those peole who assumes Western life is better...you know what I mean).
I think that some of his points are down right silly. I think he is also assuming alot about us (does he really check hundreds of myspaces???). The only thing I cant really argue with are his numbers and the fact that we are behind as a nation.