Thursday, July 24, 2008

Reading: It's As Simple As That

During my venture of summer reading assignments for class next year, I have, yet again, re-discovered my absolute love of reading. I have noticed more and more recently that I am left with less and less time each year to partake in my favorite passtime due to the heavy, for lack of a better word, load of homework I plow my way through. I have always been aware of the difference between myself and my other classmates when it comes to assigned reading. The difference being that I always end up taking a strong liking to them, while the majority of my classmates complain about how boring and complicated they are.
While I was reading my second of two assigned novels earlier today, Grapes of Wrath, I began to wonder how anyone could dislike such a great novel, so, I decided to conduct a little research on the reading levels and statistics of that sort of American teens and people, in general, in today's public.
This is an article that I found provided the information and results that I had suspected: http://www.nea.gov/news/news07/TRNR.html

4 comments:

michelle said...

For me, Grapes of Wrath was one of those novels I learned to appreciate after the fact. I struggled to get through it last summer and complained endlessly about it.

But months later I realized the true literary value of it. My favorite chapter (which I actually enjoyed during my actual reading) was the one about the grapes of wrath. It was one of the descriptive chapters.

Amanda C. said...

Statistics are powerful. I think people are reading less because it is so much more relaxed and reserved than other activities.

I am still reading my summer books, but now, with a greater interest. :)

Raoul Duke said...

ugh i wish i could just sit down and read piles of books, like i used to...

Justin said...

I've always loved reading, it's a good way to just slow down life and simply enjoy yourself. But recently, I've been finding it more and more difficult to devote any real amount of time to books. With homework, a job, and the dozens of other forms of media, it can be very difficult to just take a break and read a few chapters.