Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Hiding Place

Earlier this month, I read The Hiding Place, an autobiography by Corrie Ten Boom.  It is amazing!  Thanks to Mr. Hurrianko’s nonfiction AR program, my friend read this book and recommended it to me.  Came summer, I finally had time to start reading all those books on my long list of books to read.  Anyway, I found the first quarter of the book quite interesting, but not very suspenseful.  Then as the book progressed, it got harder and harder to put down.  It was difficult for me to stop reading on the 4th of July to go see Wall-E with my family and watch fireworks with my court.  Of course, I’m glad I did, especially since no one stopped me from staying up early into the morning of July 5th to read it.  

By now you’re probably thinking that it's about time for me to explain what this book is about.  But really, it would be best if you just read the book yourself.  Okay, fine.  I'll tell you a little...  

Corrie ten Boom grew up in Holland.  When she was about 50 years old, the Nazis occupied Holland, so Corrie began hiding Jews in her home.  She soon became the key leader of the Underground movement in Holland, but was eventually sent to a concentration camp.  This survivor’s account made me thankful for so many things that I usually take for granted and inspired and challenged me by the way in which she risked her life for others and withstood the horrifying realities of the Holocaust.

1 comment:

Paige said...

sounds interesting! even after all the years in school of learning the same "stuff" about the Holocaust, i still enjoy reading about it.