Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Family

Hey everyone! It's Victoria here again. I hope that all of your summers are going well. I am staying extremely busy. It feels like summer is passing by so quickly!

The morning after I got home from Fiji (so after about 10 hours at home) I left again for another adventure. This time it was to Oregon for a family camping trip. I don't know about you, but after twenty-six and a half hours of travel to get home from Fiji I wasn't exactly in the mood for an eight hour drive. Including myself, there were eighteen of us attending this trip that was in honor of my grandparent's 50th wedding aniversary. It was pretty cold there actually, well at least when compared to Fiji. Even though it's winter in Fiji, it was definitely a lot warmer than where we were in Oregon.

We were staying at Turtle Rock Resort (? I think that's the name of it) along Gold Coast. The first day I was there (thre rest of the family had been there about 4 nights ahead of me due to my Fiji trip) we went salmon fishing. That was definitely an experience. We fished for six hours and out of three boats of six people aboard each only one person, my uncle, caught a fish. It had to be released because it was wild. The next day (Thursday) we went on a jet boat tour of the Rouge River. On Friday, the fourth of July, we went to the beach, had a cook out, and went to town to watch the fire works. On Saturday we drove home; it took ten hours and fifteen minutes!

There are two things I discovered on this trip. The first thing is that Oregon is a beautiful place, but it's no Fiji. The second thing is the importance of your family and spending time with them. In this day and age it seems fairly normal for teenagers to spend most of their time away from family. Believe me, I know that they can get on your nerves and drive you completely crazy, but seriously, take time for your family. You never know how much more time you may have.

1 comment:

michelle said...

I would have to agree with you. I know a lot of the time it seems like I would rather hang out with my friends then spend time with my family, but spending time with them is extremely valuable.
I had a similar experience when I was in Yosemite for the weekend with my cousins.
But you seem to have a very busy summer, traveling everywhere!