Sunday, June 22, 2008

Breakaway!

Hey everyone! I'm Karin (it's pronounced like car in the garage), and I signed up for Journalism II after Mr. Nichols talked about it in my English class. I love writing and I love people, so it sounds like a great class!

The reason I've taken this long to post something is because as soon as school got out, I was in Breakaway mode. Breakaway is the name of the kids day camp at my church.  Almost 2,300 kids signed up this year, so there was lots of prep to be done!  And that's what I did every day for my first week of vacation.  Then last week was the week of Breakaway.  I led a group of 10 first graders with my friend, Brittany, and another girl whom I quickly became friends with.  

This is what a day at Breakaway looks like: After the kids are all signed in, we head to Opening Rally.  Rally is where grades 1st through 6th gather in the main building for songs and a skit. Then 1st grade groups go to story time, where Miss Donna does an amazing job of telling the kids stories from the Bible as well as her own life. Then we're off to Rec., which is full of crazy games like bounce houses, water slides, a zip line, a dunk tank, and many things that I don't even think have names.  It is super fun, and most kids and many leaders (including me) are soaking wet by the end of it. Then we get a snack to eat on the way back to our tent. (It's pretty entertaining how 1st graders have so much trouble walking at the same time as eating.) Once we return to our tent, either Brittany or I lead a discussion about the lesson from story time, give an object lesson, and help our group memorize a Bible verse. Then we go to arts and crafts where they have lots of unique activities and every t-shirt is in jeopardy of getting splattered with paint or some other concoction. After that, we go to Closing Rally, where the skit continues from where we left off the rally before.

My six-year-old cousin visited last week and was in my Breakaway group. So once I was done with Breakaway for the day, I would go home and continue to play with and take care of a first grader. Okay, I wanna give a shout out to all moms because I got a little taste of it last week! But it was so worth it. Both the kids and I had an amazing time! I got to be a part of a great week for my ten 1st graders, and I got to watch as many of them began and they all grew in their relationships with God. Even though it was tiring, it was awesome watching God use me to love on those kids and impact their lives for eternity!

3 comments:

Lauren Sotir said...

Hey Karin! That is very cool and seems like so much fun to help out with. Hope you are having a great summer!

Anonymous said...

Hey Karin!
I'm so excited that you will be writing for the flash next year. I'm sure we will both have a lot of fun. I did something similar to breakaway. I had tons of fun but i watched the kids in preschool. They never get tired and at the end of the week I was dead tired. Breakaway sounds like a really neat program. I'm sure you were a blessing to all the kids there. Hope you are having an awesome summer!

Anonymous said...

That camp sounds similar to one that I attended for many years, called Wolf Mountain.
I'm happy you got to do something impactful this summer, and you had a fun time doing it.
Good to have you on the staff!