Monday, June 22, 2009

PA vs. CA

Let me start off with a little background here. I was born on May 20, 1992 in Butler Pennsylvania. You have probably never heard of it but it is relatively close to Pittsburg aka where the Steelers play (Superbowl champs baby!!! ohhhh yeah!!!). Long story short I live with you guys in Rocklin California and my mom lives in Mars Pennsylvania, no joke. Mars is an actual place. I am here for the first month of summer vacation. Usually I go to PA one week over Christmas break and for six weeks in the summer. I am experiencing a bit of culture shock...not too bad because I do come here every single year, but a bit. This is because of some of the main differences between the two:
1. Things are a whole lot greener. And there are a lot of trees and nature along the road.
2. Speaking of nature along the road there is a lot of road kill and when you are driving you must be careful not to hit creatures.
3. You have to pay more attention when you drive especially when turning left. A left turning light may be green; however you do not have the right away and there is still on-coming traffic heading your way. Also not all stop signs come with limit lines.
4. Society does not emphasize health quite as much. There are no Jamba Juices or smoothie places in general, frozen yogurt places (that one makes me want to cry), and most salads are made out of iceburg lettuce.
5. There are tanning places and nail salons, but definitely not as many.
6. Dialect. People here don't have extremely strong accents but they do talk differently (and thats not a bad thing...just an observation)
These are some of the differences I have noticed. I love PA and CA but deep down I think I'm a Cali girl.

3 comments:

lauren elizabeth said...

NO FROZEN YOGURT?!?! VICTORIA, THIS BREAKS MY HEART

Paige said...

im tellin' ya - open a yogurt place!!

Paige said...

JON AND KATE PLUS 8 live there too.
that was rude to forget about them.